Saturday, April 26, 2014

In Sickness and in Health

Lately, the kids have been so good about getting sick! They have barely gotten sick, except for a week in the fall when they all got strep throat. Other than that, they have been managing to escape all of the flus going around this past winter, until last night.

When Braylie got home from school yesterday, she said she went to the nurse twice because her stomach hurt. Both times she took tums, and she said they only helped for a little bit. She didnt' have a fever, so she couldn't be sent home. I just told her to relax in bed and have some crackers and ginger ale, that usually helps an upset stomach. Around 5:30 we were about to leave for dinner, and she ran out to the kitchen and said she thinks she is going to throw up. Of course, I grabbed the trash can and she threw up in the trashcan for a few minutes. I took her to the guest room to lay down. When one of the kids is sick, they usually stay in the guest room so I can confine the germs to one place. I couldn't stay with her because the babies were screaming and hungry, so Jeff stayed with her and said she threw up a few more times in the next 30 minutes. I felt so bad for her, she was burning up and couldn't keep anything down all night! I knew that I couldn't get near her much, because I am constantly with Emery and Nolan and can't risk them getting sick. After I fed them I sanitized every room in the house and tried to kill all of the germs. Of course, Jeff was constantly washing his hands when he was with the other kids, since he was with Braylie. It was upsetting to cancel with my friend Lilia for dinner, but I'm sure she understands!

Everything was fine until about 9pm. Jeff said Braylie was feeling a bit better and was able to keep down a few crackers and a sip of water. I put Gage and Jamie to bed (they sleep in the same room) and was just in the living room with Adrian. I heard Jamie crying uncontrolably and ran back to his room only to find out that he had thrown up. I felt so bad for him, throwing up scared him because he had never thrown up before, except when he was a newborn of course. Jeff cleaned everything up while I took him into the guest room with Braylie, he slept in the other bed. Our guest room has 2 twin beds! The night was rough for Jeff, he was up all night with Jamie. While I, on the other hand, had a normal night up every 2 hours with Emery and Nolan!

This morning Braylie was feeling much better, she still had a fever but had a piece of toast for breakfast and said she didn't feel nauseas. Jamie was still throwing up and a 102 fever. I dropped Emery and Nolan off at our babysitter's house like I planned, and took Gage to his soccer game! Part way through he wasn't feeling good, so we left early and he ended up throwing up when he got home. So, we had 3 sick kids, it wasn't fun at all!

Currently, Braylie's fever is gone and she is feeling good! I'm thinking it was just a 24 hour bug. Jamie is doing okay, he only has a low fever and hasn't thrown up in about 2 hours. Gage is still sick though, he can't keep anything down and has a high fever. Adrian hasn't gotten sick yet, and neither have Jeff and I. I'm really hoping that I don't get sick, because then Emery and Nolan will most likely get sick, since we are breastfeeding. I would really appreciate positive thoughts and prayers to help our family get through this!

No comments:

Post a Comment