So far, the first day with my babies has been doing very well! Last night both babies were able to figure out breastfeeding, and breastfeeding is going great. I love it so much, it is such a bonding experience! I can't wait until I can tandem breastfeed. Last night was a tough night though, the babies kept Jeff and I up all night! What is the hard thing is that they both are on completely different schedules. For example, at 1am Emery woke up to eat. At 1:30 she went back down after changing her diaper. Then, at 1:45 Nolan woke up to eat. At 2:30, after being changed, she went back down. At 3:30, Emery woke up again! I would love to get them on the same feeding schedule once we get home and settled. It's so crazy with twins!
Speaking of going home, we have gotten a lot of questions about what we will do on getting back home to LA. We were originally planning on leaving Sunday night, but that isn't an option since I won't be released from the hospital until Monday morning. But, the kids will be flying home Sunday, just not Jeff and I! My father and my uncle are flying with them and staying at the house with them so they don't miss any school. Their school starts back up again on Monday! Jeff and I have a big dilemma, though. It is not recommended for a baby to fly until 2-3 months. 2 weeks is the minimum for some babies, as long as the doctor says it is okay, but it's still strongly discouraged. Premature babies have a weaker immune system too, like my babies. Jeff and I obviously want to get home and settled, and don't want to wait 2 months! We have decided that we are going to have to drive from Florida to California. It is a 1 day 16 hour drive. This morning after the photographer left and the babies were sleeping, we mapped everything out! Tuesday morning early, at 2am, we are getting in the car and starting to drive. We are going introduce the bottle to the babies Monday, even though it is still very early. We will be pulling over every 2 hours to tandem breastfeed, and that takes about half an hour. We are just planning on having bottles incase something goes wrong, and the babies need to be fed but I can't breastfeed at that exact moment! We are planning on driving 16 hours Tuesday. Technically, 2 hours of that will be breastfeeding, so we will have gotten 14 hours down Tuesday, 26 hours to go! We are checking into a hotel (we already made reservations) Tuesday night. We plan on eating an early breakfast (6am) on Wednesday and leaving by 7. We plan on driving until 11, which would be another 16 hours, technically 14 hours because 2 hours will be spent breastfeeding. We are checking into another hotel Wednesday night! Thursday at noon we are beginning to drive again, and should arrive home around 1-2am Friday. This coming week is going to be absolutely crazy, I can not believe we are attempting to drive 40 hours with twin newborns. Wish us luck!
Hopefully you get Em and Nolan on the same schedule soon! That's crazy that you're driving that far! My cousin Gina works at the airport in Florida and said that there are certain planes that are safer for newborns because they have certified nurses on them! It's just $60 more! Maybe consider it, I can give you her info if you want! But, it seems like you have everything planned out!
ReplyDeleteI would love Gina's info! This is so amazing, thank you so much! I have been so stressed about attempting this trip, it seems almost impossible. I would love to hear what Gina has to say and maybe help us book a flight! :)
ReplyDeleteAlright, awesome! Hopefully she'll be able to help! Her email is ginat@worldflight.com!
ReplyDeleteOk I will email her right away! Thanks Steph!
ReplyDeleteYou're so welcome, Kate! I'm glad I could help out! Let me know what she says!
ReplyDeleteI will!
ReplyDelete